Sunday, February 7, 2010

Stars of the Lid

Thanks to Rusty at SomaFM's DroneZone (You should listen. You should give them money. Do it now. I'll wait.) as I write I am listening to Stars of the Lid ("Articulate Silences Part 1" from "And Their Refinement of the Decline", Kranky 2007).

You can find out as much or as little about the band as you like for yourself; I won't attempt to summarize them except to say that they are a two guys who produce some really beautiful instrumental music. But I felt compelled to give a shout (As the kids say).

I was lucky enough to catch them when they performed in my city in 2007. It was a day after I'd received some pretty life-changing news, so that concert and therefore that album will probably always be associated in my mind with that time and what was - and I suppose still is - happening. But (As the kids insist on saying) "It's All Good". I did say it was beautiful music, after all, and on this occasion the usual pair were joined by a string trio so it was all the more sublime.

A clip from that tour, though not from that show:

Stars of the Lid from Timothy Boyd on Vimeo.



I first heard SotL on (surprise) SomaFM -- that occasion it was "The Atomium Part 3" from "Avec Laudenum" and it grabbed me enough that I had to hear everything else. SotL also seem have a thing for Twin Peaks (as shown by song titles and samples used). So that's funny too.

And that's all I called about.

No comments:

Post a Comment